We coaches have a responsibility to help our great game.
Year in year out, leagues are having an enormous problem recruiting umpires.
All coaches need to take more interest in umpiring and the development of umpiring for the sake of the game.
I am sure not many of us would have the courage or guts to go out and umpire a game, particularly our own club.
Therefore let us collectively look at ways of helping out.
The suggestion I have is to use our injured players, those who are able to run and do all the activities required for umpiring at a junior level or U18 competition.
A unique way of learning, creating a greater understanding of the game.
- This inturn helps your league out. (and fitness)
- This inturn gives your player a greater insight into umpiring.
- Greater understanding of the difficulties for umpires.
- Learning to cope with creative ideas from the supporter base.
- Learning to cope with the creative ideas from the players.
- Learning to stay strong in the mind and focused.
- Learning to concentrate under pressure.
- Learning how to position yourself.
- Handling a situation when you know you missed a free kick.
- Interpretation of the laws of the game.
- Understanding and knowing the Interpretations.
These are only a few of the areas covered by umpires.
Having our players umpiring a few games now and again would give our umpiring fraternity greater exposure and greater understanding by players in the difficulties the umpires go through each game.
Are you (Coach) prepared to give some thought into this matter, if so place your thoughts in this blog.
John “Swooper” Northey